Friday, November 4, 2011

Indeed Voting ID laws are long overdue


(Orginal Blog Post found Here Haley Callaway)

Thank you Ms. (Mrs? Miss?) Callaway for also saying what I believe. When citizens go out to vote they should carry there identification. I remember the first time I went to vote in 2008, I was so eager to vote that I carried both social security card, Texas ID, Voter Registration card and I had my father bring a utility bill to also prove we lived in Travis County. I did not want to be told I could not vote because of insufficient identification.  In 2010 when it was time to elect state Governor, I again carried my SS card, Texas ID, voter registration card, and school ID. For me I bring extra identification just in case. I do not see the argument to NOT have an ID. It is not that big of a deal to be asked to carry extra identification other than the voter registration card in order to vote. Any citizen driving to the voting booths already carries a driver’s license, which is, extra identification. No one is trying to turn away people at the voting booths because of their race, sex, or religion.

On the flip side there is an agreement that citizens should not have to carry extra ID because the State of Texas says the voter registration card is sufficient enough. This argument I’ve heard comes mostly from my parents. When they (my parents) go into cash a paycheck the Banks requite a photo ID. That is there standard. For years, apparently, the standard at the voting booths was only a voter registration card here in Texas. Texas now wants to change this and require an actual photo ID. You and I don’t see the big deal. And I barely see the case my parents have. This law is not requiring anything abnormal. However I believe my parents think this may be the first of many changes. If a photo ID is required, than what’s next, a SS card? After that, what, a birth certificate? Today you ask for a photo ID, tomorrow, what is going to be asked in order to vote. I believe this snowball effect argument is a miniscule probability of coming true but I would not put it past the government to think this was a great idea.

Overall I’m stands on the same side of this issue I do. Voters should carry and provide extra identification at the voting booths if they are asked to

No comments:

Post a Comment